Everything now and then, my family likes a good hash brown casserole. It is easy to make and it’s gluten-free. I usually use shredded hash browns, eggs, milk and cheese to create this nice dish; however, every now and then, I like an even easier version that doesn’t take much time on my part. If you’re looking for a different hash brown casserole version, then this is for you.
Tater Tot Casserole
When people hear the phrase tater tot casserole, they think of the dinner version: tater tots, meat, and cream of chicken soup. But a variation of it works well for breakfast. Sometimes, substituting ingredients when you don’t have everything that you need makes for an even better dish. In this case, I was out of shredded hash browns one morning, but I had frozen tater tots. I baked the tater tots before assembling them in the casserole dish. *You can also air fry the tater tots for 10 minutes. They did not come out mushy and they didn’t fall apart. They were simply soft and held together nicely. This version is now my family’s favorite. If you’re looking for weekday casserole version that fills everyone belly, I encourage you to try this. Note, that I am giving a simple version; however, you can add anything that you want to it: bell peppers, ham, sausage, crumbled bacon, or anything else. I often have the meat served on the side for any family members that do not want meat in their casserole. Here we go!
Gluten-free Breakfast Casserole
- 1 Oven
- 1 Air fryer or use the oven for the tater tots
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Casserole Dish
- 8 Eggs Beaten
- 1 cup Milk 2% or Whole Milk
- 1-2 cups Frozen Tater Tots
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese You can use more if you would like.
- 1 tbsp Oil Use this to coast the casserole dish.
- In the Air Fryer or Oven, bake the tater tots until done.
- While the tater tots are baking, crack and mix 8 eggs.
- Add the milk, cheese, and seasonings to the eggs and whisk until everything is well blended.
- When the tater tots are done, place them into a well oiled casserole dish. Use the 1 tbsp of oil to coat the dish.
- Pour the eggs mixture onto the tater tots. At this point, you may top it with additional cheese (optional).
- Bake everything in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Serve with a breakfast meat and fruit.
And voila! Easy and gluten-free breakfast casserole. Just because this is for breakfast, I will often take a portion to work with me for a great lunch. You can also make this part of your dinner as well. It works all day long for any meal.
Is there a meal that you make that works for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?